For complete disclosure on rolling over your 401(k), IRA, SEP, 403(b), etc into precious metals, please read our step-by-step guide here.
NOTE: All bullion and coins (listed below) must be .999 pure for IRS approval regarding retirement accounts. Please be aware of investment scams. Self-directed IRAs carry certain risks and are increased when purchasing coins. We do not recommend purchasing precious metals coins for your IRA (stick to pure bullion). However, we have compiled a list below of coins that are approved by the IRS. Please read this warning by the SEC.gov before using a self-directed IRA to make any investment decisions.
IRS Accepted and Approved Precious Metals for IRAs
For an unabridged guide to handling your Individual Retirement Arrangements, see IRS.gov.
Gold Coins IRA:
- American Gold Eagle bullion coin
- American Gold Eagle proof coin
- Canadian Gold Maple Leaf coin
- Austrian Gold Philharmonic coin
- Australian Kangaroo/Nugget coin
- Chinese Gold Panda coin
- American Gold Buffalo un-circulated coin (proofs not allowed)
- Gold bars & rounds produced by a NYMEX/COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum fineness requirements
- Click here for more gold coins
Silver Coins IRA:
- American Silver Eagle bullion coin
- American Silver Eagle proof coin
- Canadian Silver Maple Leaf coin
- Austrian Silver Philharmonic coin
- Australian Silver Kookaburra coin
- Chinese Silver Panda coin
- Mexican Libertad coin
- Silver bars & rounds produced by a NYMEX/COMEX-approved refinery or national government mint, meeting minimum fineness requirements
- Click here for more silver coins
NOTE: Before you choose to invest in collectible coins (numismatics) for your IRA, be sure you’re knowledgeable of the risks and read our warning first.